Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day Eight, Nine, Ten: Going... Going... Gone.

[One of my "on the road" snacks]

[My last paleo meal before I had a break down for fried shrimp in the French Quarter]

The past 3 days have been a challenge, to say the least, but I managed to stay paleo up until lunch today. I will let all of you know, I never go down without a fight.



I definitely put up a good fight until fried shrimp from Johnny's in the French Quarter in New Orleans [where po-boys got their name way back when] won me over big time. I'm sorry, but how could I say no to that??? I did, however, just get fried shrimp and no french roll to complete the po-boy [and I had about 2 bites of the potato salad]. Man, I just have a HUGE weakness for fried shrimp. Always have... Always will. I also figured I would not be smart if I traveled all the way to New Orleans and passed on enjoying myself.

[Pat O'Brien's Famous Hurricane]

[Yummy cupcakes!]


I will also let y'all know, I have absolutely no guilty feelings [well, maybe one...NOT.] about my choice on fried shrimp... and shortly after I helped myself to a Hurricane at Pat O'Brien's... and after that I enjoyed a gourmet cupcake from the Kupcake Factory. I [thoroughly] enjoyed myself and I am so happy I did because if I hadn't I would be pretty bummed at myself right now.






Following our day in downtown and the French Quarter, Rylee's great grandma made us dinner and dessert... all of which was so not paleo and there is no way I would ever say, "I'm sorry, but I just can't eat any of the food you just spent the last hour or two making because it doesn't fit in with my "paleo lifestyle." So I ate and was thankful. I will do my best to stay paleo tomorrow, but I'm not going to freak out if I have to veer off the the paleo path a little and Thanksgiving day is an "anything goes" day. Mwahahahaha :)

The past few days have been so much fun! We have driven across 5 states and made super random, super spontaneous stops along the way in little towns. We drove down Historic Route 66 through the Mohave Desert, down old country roads, through mountains, plains, and canyons. We played in the snow, had a snowball fight, saw the world's largest meteor crater, and watched cows cross the road [under rainbows]. We've been through sand storms, snow showers, rain, sleet, freezing temps to summer weather. We rode in a horse drawn carriage, walked to the French Quarter, and down Bourbon Street. We ate homemade banana pudding, drank Hurricanes, enjoyed fried shrimp, and gourmet cupcakes. It has been an amazingly fun, adventurous, and oh, so spontaneous [not so] little trip so far. I have loved every minute and I am quite exhausted as I write this, but what great memories we have made! I look forward to the rest of our trip and can't help but wonder with excitement what the next few days have in store! Hope y'all had a fabulous Thanksgiving Eve Eve! :)



No comments: