Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Our New Beach Home [Before and After]

Okay...So, once I officially decided to move here all I kept thinking about was how I would decorate our new place by the ocean.


Thoughts literally took over my mind...


-Keep the color scheme I have had for the last almost 10 years of my life [muted neutrals and earth tones and pops of red] or step out and start fresh with a completely new color scheme?


-To paint or not to paint?


-Keep the same furniture and just spice it up with new fabrics or just completely start over?


I was having SO much fun planning everything out. First, I focused on my colors. I have always loved earthy tones, but my true favorite colors are blues and greens. I started with my foundation which is mainly dark, warm, chocolatey browns mixed with subtle earthy greens, muted reds, yellows, corals and added pops of teal and torquoise blue...with some super unexpected touches such as [ZEBRA] prints. I love modern with a mix of rustic pieces and finishes...and I am not a fan of matchy matchy. I know that all may be a bit difficult to picture and that is why I have pictures! Yay! [Just remember- this is a work in progress...I still have so many ideas and things I want to fix, change, and rearrange!]


P.S. I had originally decided to paint everything before I moved everything in, but when we got here all I wanted to do was get moved in as fast as I could! So I put the whole painting thing to the side for a while.



BEFORE [LIVING ROOM]




AFTER

I took all the old solid matching pillows off my favorite sofa and had some fun at World Market, Marshall's, and Garden Ridge with new fabrics, patterns, and textures. Did I mention I love bold patterns? The curtains I made with silk and sheer fabrics from Hobby Lobby about 6 years ago and used a $3 bamboo pole, also from Hobby Lobby, for the curtain rod. Gosh, I am already missing Garden Ridge! They have great deals and a HUGE selection. Too bad they don't exist in my new state of residence!


P.S. That "end table" on the left is actually 2 stacked wooden crates I found about 9 years ago that a grocery store was fixing to throw away. One man's trash = my treasure! :)


One more thing...I also added a few of my daddy's touches. His "touches" would be his gifts to me throughout the years...aka dead things. Yep. You heard right. That would be his 6-point buck hanging on the wall and his buck skin on the ottoman. The alligator skull [from the alligator who mistakenly climbed into his boat which he killed, cooked, and chopped the head off of which he then placed in an ant bed] is in there too, just not in full view. I love you, Daddy!




BEFORE [LIVING ROOM]




AFTER


Here the door opens right up into the living room which I am not a big fan of so I found this super cool Bali inspired room divider [World Market] to basically function as a way to create the feel of an entry way leading into the living room. I really like how it turned out.




BEFORE [LIVING ROOM/KITCHEN/ENTRY]




AFTER


The shutters I found in a salvage yard in the Heights in Houston almost 10 years ago. The surfboard was given to me when I was about 15 after I learned to surf at a family reunion. My other board is a custom made DaKine fish [short] board my dad gave to me for my birthday [or Christmas?] one year. The driftwood leaning against the shutter I found on Surfside Beach, TX after Hurricane Ike hit in 2008.


OH! And my green apple velvet Logan chair [World Market]...puts a big smile on this face.

These curtain panels I actually bought at Ikea a few years ago and then bought some fabric at Hancock Fabrics to break up the mass amount of chocolate brown.



BEFORE [ANOTHER VIEW OF ENTRY]




AFTER

I love my new teal curtains! I love them even more knowing I found them in the clearance section at World Market...Shhhh, don't tell! I only paid $18 total for both velvet panels.



BEFORE [KITCHEN]




AFTER


-The kitchen chair [original K-Mart purchase] in full view and its siblings I refinished in 2003 and reupholstered the cushions as well with the same silk fabric I used on the curtains in the living room. I just used the left over fabric I had from the chairs for the curtains.



BEFORE [BATHROOM]






AFTER

I love the new shower curtain [Pottery Barn] and the sepia tone and black and white photographs that kind of took over in here.

ALL accessories seen here were found in the home section at Marshall's. I could spend hours there just searching for cool, new ideas. I even got our pots and pans and bake ware there!
I just love that photograph [Garden Ridge]. It is of a 1920's beauty pageant on the beach in Southern California.

The answer is: Yes, I put that thing together.
I also found the turquoise pottery at a little shop in Gruene, Texas.




BEFORE [BEDROOM]



AFTER

I did the same thing to these curtains as I did with the other chocolate brown curtains [Ikea]. I found some fabric I loved in the clearance section at Hancock Fabrics and spiced the chocolate panels up a bit. I found the shutters in Old Town Tomball at an antique shop. The headboard and nightstands were a purchase from a World Market going out of business [super great deals] a few years ago off I-10 and the Beltway in Houston.


And yes, that is my dad's trophy 6-pointer.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AND ALL I HAVE IS AN AFTER FOR RYLEE'S ROOM...HERE IT IS!
The theme for her room has been "surfer girl" since she was a baby. Most of the decor in her room is from Potter Barn Kids.


Her curtains [Ikea] and bedspread [Marshall's].


Hope you enjoyed the tour of our new beach home!
I would love to know your thoughts!
Thanks for stopping by!

Hope y'all have a super great Tuesday!




4 comments:

  1. Wow Nicole, it looks amazing!! My first house.... you're on it. I'm glad you are doing this blog... it almost makes me forget that you guys are so far away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...Thanks, Ashley! :) Haha...You got it dude. LOVE you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The house looks AMAZING!! I especially love the couch with all the different pillows and the bathroom is to die for!!

    ReplyDelete