Monday, January 10, 2011

The Other Side of Fear = Freedom.



What a fun weekend! Friday night was "Game Night" at a friend's house in Newport Beach. We played Mad Gab, which is insanely hilarious, Apples to Apples, and [adult] Pictionary... ;) So much fun! The next morning I got up and wodded it up at crossfit, did some yoga, watched the game, hung out with some great friends at a super cool Asian fondue place on Main Street, walked home, listened to a super sweet friend/neighbor play guitar and sing [above^^^], and played some serious cards. ;) Sunday, I got to do a little surfing and then went and saw "How Do You Know"...I think my expectations were a little too high, but it was still cute. I don't think I'd tell anyone to go rush out and see it, though. I still love both, Reese Witherspoon and Owen Wilson, just not the movie so much. I also got some super fun news today! Rylee was asked to do some modeling for Billabong! Yay, Go Rylee! :)



This morning I did a little crossfit at CrossFit Marina and this time my [rx] was legit. Woo hoo! We did 3 rounds for time: 400m run, 30 overhead squats [55#], and 21 pull-ups. I finished at 18:31 and was pumped to get to finally put an rx by my time. Finally!!!! I'm finally feeling like I'm getting everything I once lost back again...slowly, but surely. It feels good.


So... I did it. Yep, I finally made myself go back out and surf once again and it couldn't have felt any better. Let me explain... I have been surfing since I was about 15, but I am still getting used to the waves here rather than what I am used to in Surfside Beach, Texas... Nice clean sets of beautiful non-intimidating baby waves. The last time I went out here I basically got destroyed and carried way far down the beach and then was spit out by the ocean on the sand. I was slightly freaked out at the ocean, to say the least, after that happened so I made myself go back out that same day so my fear wouldn't win, although, ever since that day my fear has won... Until yesterday, that is. I got my wetsuit and booties on, waxed up my 6 foot Dakine fish, walked down to the beach, found a spot, and got back into the 55 degree water. I had a great time and was able to catch almost everything I went for which felt oh, so good. I'm still not free of my lovely fear, but it has subsided some, for sure... AND I still absolutely [hate] paddling out... Hoping crossfit will help me there!!!! ;)

...the other side of every fear is freedom.
Marilyn Ferguson

Courage is not the absence of fear, but the mastery of it

Do what you are afraid to do
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do the thing you fear to do and keep on doing it... that is the quickest and surest way ever yet discovered to conquer fear.
Dale Carnegie

Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain.
Mark Twain

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
Eleanor Roosevelt


No comments:

Post a Comment